Monday, February 13, 2012

Adventures in the Kitchen: Week 1


Meal Variety has always been a struggle for me. I have a fairly decent repertoire of meals that we circulate through but I am a bit bored with them. I've been making them now for almost 8 years.  So, I've decided to embark on a recipe finding adventure......my goal is to try (and post) at least one new recipe a week.....goals being healthy, fairly easy (using ingredients commonly found in any kitchen), and enjoyed by my food critics (my family!). I'll make sure to include honest and helpful reviews. Hope this helps you moms out there who are just as tired as me with Meatloaf Monday, Taco Tuesday.... :) 

Adventures in the Kitchen Recipe # 1

No-Fuss Moroccan Chicken

Prep Time: 15 min    Serves: 4    

Ingredients
1.5 lbs. of chicken halves (I used chic. breasts...I am a wimp when it comes to bones!)
2 T of oil (I used coconut oil)
1/2 Cup chopped onion
1 Garlic clove (I am a garlic junkie so I used 4 cloves, freshly pressed)
2 Cups Salsa (using mild, medium or hot salsa will determine how hot this dish will be)
1/2 Cup Water
Silly me, forgot to take a picture....so this one will have to do!
 Similar image minus the slivered almonds.
1/4 Currants (I substituted raisins...tasted great)
2 Tablespoons honey
1 1/2 Teaspoons Cumin
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon

Preheat oven to 325 F. Brown chicken in oil and place in baking dish.

Lightly saute onions and garlic. Spoon over chicken.

Combine salsa, water, currants, honey, cumin and cinnamon in a bowl.
Pour over chicken. 

Cover and bake for 1 hour or until chicken is cooked through.

Serve with Rice or Couscous.

Rice is always a hit with my family, as is chicken. The girls ate a small helping as I unwisely used a medium heat salsa...a little too hot for tiny tongues. As for the adults, we agreed it was spicy but enjoyed the sweet surprise of the raisins and the flavor of this dish. I would make this dish again, but use mild salsa instead.


3 comments:

  1. Looks super yummy! i have a curried chicken recipe on my blog that is somewhat similar to this I would imagine. It too involves a tomato-ey base with cumin, etc. http://redandhoney.com/2011/03/curried-chicken-gaps-legal/

    I'll have to try this one for sure though, since I love salsa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great one with chicken and salsa is Kickin Chicken:
    Use 1/2c to 3/4 c salsa (again, choose your heat level) and mix with equal part peanut sauce. You can easily make your own with PB, soy and vinegar (search Easy Peanut sauce on allrecipes.com)
    Spread over chicken breasts, thighs, etc and bake 30min at 350, or until done, basting halfway through. Serve over rice, couscous or quinoa. The flavor combination may sound strange but it's SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm....sounds so yummy!i love peanut butter sauce....that will be on the menu for this week! Thanks Ashley!

    ReplyDelete