Friday, March 30, 2012

A Servant Heart - Finding Purpose in the Day

A Servant Heart.....my good friend once said that depending on the day, she was either having a servant day or a non-servant day! It is so true. As wives and mothers, we are called to serve in many ways, most of which in my opinion seem trivial, repetitive and somewhat meaningless. I'm talking about the day to day tasks that life requires......dishes, meals, laundry, cleaning, groceries, wiping bums and noses, cleaning up after everyone, putting everyone to bed and then waking up and repeating it all the next day. I found myself getting stuck.....stuck in the mundane and I felt tired, grumpy, unappreciated, bored and just downright unhappy. GASP! Did i just admit that out loud?
To be honest, there were some key things lacking in my life, things that had been tossed to the wayside in the midst of a busy life, a life where I thought I was giving giving giving to everyone but me, but ironically, I was living very selfishly.  I have learned this lesson over and over in my journey of motherhood, so why do I continue to go through these melancholy times? I get to thinking I don't need anyone to help me out in this life....I got it. I mean how hard can it all be? But I realize it is not what you do but how you do it (aka my attitude...which has been kinda sour these past weeks...and what directly affects my attitude? my focus in life). My life has been lacking in personal time with God, and exercise.....two things that I love but for some reason had cut out of my daily routine. Why was it so hard to re-introduce those important parts back into my life? I truly believe it is Satan, wanting to keep me down and as far away from my Savior as possible.....and it was working for quite some time. Anything was a distraction.....housework, TV, facebook (!!), friends, the kids.....and by the time the evening rolled around, I was just too mentally done to process anything deep....or so I thought and that was the excuse I told myself.
Well....it is day 3 in my 'rehabilitation' program.....and I feel 100% different. Nothing has changed in my life....all those mundane tasks still await me, but my attitude has been given a huge adjustment and focus and my spirit has been refreshed and I've been reminded of my Purpose in life.....to give glory to my Creator in everything I do. What purpose that gives me!!......no matter what mundane task I  do, I can confidently accomplish it knowing this is exactly what I am supposed to be doing at this point in my life. And that feels amazing. I am back in the game of life....excited and raring to go! Thanks God!
Romans 12:1, 11-13
"....offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God-this is your spiritual act of worship.....Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer...."
I'm a sucker for sunsets.
I love the colours of the sun going down,
the beauty it brings and the promise it leaves
....the promise of a clean slate, a fresh start, a new day.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like Nampa is good for you ;) Yes those are lessons that we need to relearn repeatedly, me at least. And what am I doing on a blog at 00h32 when we have an 07h30 appointment tomorrow?! Not sure how deep the breakfast devotions time will go...

    ReplyDelete